Friday, February 24, 2012

Change SQL Port doesnt change

I am trying to change the port of an instance via the SSCM. Afther changing
the TCP/IP protocol -> ALL IP -> Blank/1433 and restart the service it goes
back to previous configuration.
Any ideas why? I want all my named instances to be using 1433.
The Default port is 1433 so U need not have to configure for 1433
"ipconfig2" wrote:

> I am trying to change the port of an instance via the SSCM. Afther changing
> the TCP/IP protocol -> ALL IP -> Blank/1433 and restart the service it goes
> back to previous configuration.
> Any ideas why? I want all my named instances to be using 1433.
>
|||For some reason, SQL Server does not like assigning named instances to port
1433. Even though a clustered instance lives in its own virtual server and
should not have a problem with 1433, I have run into problems trying to get
it to work. I would suggest choosing another port and assigning all your
instances to that port.
Geoff N. Hiten
Senior Database Administrator
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
"ipconfig2" <ipconfig2@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9EFC71C2-CAD3-45CE-910E-A831ACCB8562@.microsoft.com...
>I am trying to change the port of an instance via the SSCM. Afther changing
> the TCP/IP protocol -> ALL IP -> Blank/1433 and restart the service it
> goes
> back to previous configuration.
> Any ideas why? I want all my named instances to be using 1433.
>
|||As I thought. But there is nothing in documentation that says that it's not
possible.
I have a x64 cluster where this works great and a x64wow cluster which is
troublesome.
I hoped MS would comment on this but I guess I have to file a support case.
To Khwaja - please read the manual. When installing clustered named
instances the port number is randomly assigned.
Thanks for replies.
Rune
"Geoff N. Hiten" wrote:

> For some reason, SQL Server does not like assigning named instances to port
> 1433. Even though a clustered instance lives in its own virtual server and
> should not have a problem with 1433, I have run into problems trying to get
> it to work. I would suggest choosing another port and assigning all your
> instances to that port.
> --
> Geoff N. Hiten
> Senior Database Administrator
> Microsoft SQL Server MVP
>
>
> "ipconfig2" <ipconfig2@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:9EFC71C2-CAD3-45CE-910E-A831ACCB8562@.microsoft.com...
>
|||By default, the Default instance is assigned TCP 1433, Named Instances use
Dynamic Ports; however, this same manual states that the best practice when
supporting connectivity through firewalls is to declare a static port
assignment, and then proceeds to note how to do this through the SSCM. So,
I am not sure which "manual" you are referring to.
Anthony Thomas

"ipconfig2" <ipconfig2@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4778F614-5C49-43C3-BD45-A9E24EE1535E@.microsoft.com...
> As I thought. But there is nothing in documentation that says that it's
not
> possible.
> I have a x64 cluster where this works great and a x64wow cluster which is
> troublesome.
> I hoped MS would comment on this but I guess I have to file a support
case.[vbcol=seagreen]
> To Khwaja - please read the manual. When installing clustered named
> instances the port number is randomly assigned.
> Thanks for replies.
> Rune
> "Geoff N. Hiten" wrote:
port[vbcol=seagreen]
and[vbcol=seagreen]
get[vbcol=seagreen]
your[vbcol=seagreen]
changing[vbcol=seagreen]
|||Hi Anthony
I cannot set the static port - it goes back to the dynamically set port when
I have changed it. The manual is BOL and Help file of SSCM. I have another
cluster where this is no problem so I wondered if there is a bug somewhere in
the software. I am using version 2153.
I want all my instances to use port 1433 since there are applications that
have hardcoded port 1433 as database port.
Regards
Rune
"Anthony Thomas" wrote:

> By default, the Default instance is assigned TCP 1433, Named Instances use
> Dynamic Ports; however, this same manual states that the best practice when
> supporting connectivity through firewalls is to declare a static port
> assignment, and then proceeds to note how to do this through the SSCM. So,
> I am not sure which "manual" you are referring to.
>
> Anthony Thomas
>
> --
> "ipconfig2" <ipconfig2@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4778F614-5C49-43C3-BD45-A9E24EE1535E@.microsoft.com...
> not
> case.
> port
> and
> get
> your
> changing
>
>
|||All instances in your enterprise or all instances on a multi-instanced
cluster? The former is achievable, the latter is impossible: each instance
on a single cluster must "listen" on a unique set of ports, one or more, as
the case may be, but unique from any other cohosted instance. These ports
can be static or dynamic per instance.
Now, Geoff has stated that he has had difficulty running named instance on
TCP 1433; however, I guarantee you that you can run on static ports. I
currently run multiple named instances running on TCP 11291, 11292, 11293,
etc. correlating the LSD with the named instance id. So, I know it works.
I've never tried to run a named instance under the default port, reserving
that for default (unnamed) instances.
I doubt your applications hard code ports. If they do, then you don't want
them running in your enterprise.
More likely, the other side hasn't a clue on how to configure named
instances or non-standard ports. Obviously, they have never worked with any
other DBMSes like Oracle or DB2, which all run, and make recommendations to
run, under non-standard ports, as a security measure.
SERVER = "MyServer\NamedInstanceN" is equivalent to SERVER =
"MyServer,PortN" where the former relies on dynamic discovery (UDP 1134)
while the latter is explicit.
I do not like embedding configuration parameters within code: SERVER =
"MyServerIPAddress,PortN" would work as well but defeats the purpose of
abstracting the name resolution.
You would be better off configuring your clients using SQL Server
client-side aliases (akin to OS host files) than to bury dynamic properties
within static code.
Sincerely,
Anthony Thomas

"ipconfig2" <ipconfig2@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4F279F5A-E540-49D2-92C4-37E171D19719@.microsoft.com...
> Hi Anthony
> I cannot set the static port - it goes back to the dynamically set port
when
> I have changed it. The manual is BOL and Help file of SSCM. I have another
> cluster where this is no problem so I wondered if there is a bug somewhere
in[vbcol=seagreen]
> the software. I am using version 2153.
> I want all my instances to use port 1433 since there are applications that
> have hardcoded port 1433 as database port.
> Regards
> Rune
> "Anthony Thomas" wrote:
use[vbcol=seagreen]
when[vbcol=seagreen]
So,[vbcol=seagreen]
it's[vbcol=seagreen]
is[vbcol=seagreen]
to[vbcol=seagreen]
server[vbcol=seagreen]
to[vbcol=seagreen]
service it[vbcol=seagreen]

No comments:

Post a Comment