Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Changing Column Names

Hey folks,
I have alot of column names in a database that I'd like to change however
there are alot of Stored Procedures that reference the existing names. Is
there a way to make SQL Server update my Stored Procedures whenever I change
a table's column name?
Thanks!No, SQL Server will not rewrite your code for you ... why do you think you
can't suppress the warning from sp_rename: "Caution: Changing any part of an
object name could break scripts and stored procedures. The COLUMN was
renamed to 'brap'."?
You should be able to find most stored procedures that rely on the table by
using sp_depends, but because of deferred name resolution and depending on
the order of your script creation, you might not catch all of them.
Assuming it's not a common word like TO or DATE, you can get the list by
scanning ROUTINE_DEFINITION in INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES, but this isn't
flawless either.
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)
"John Smith" <js@.no.com> wrote in message
news:e1epiOkeEHA.2532@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hey folks,
> I have alot of column names in a database that I'd like to change however
> there are alot of Stored Procedures that reference the existing names. Is
> there a way to make SQL Server update my Stored Procedures whenever I
change
> a table's column name?
> Thanks!
>

No comments:

Post a Comment